Devry NR443 (all discussions and all assignments) Entire Course
Devry NR443 week 1
Devry NR443 week 1 DQ 1
Core Functions of Public Health (graded)
Let’s start with a broad overview of public health nursing. The three core functions of public health are assessment, assurance, and policy development (Nies & McEwen, 2015, p. 6).
- Describe one of these core public health functions.
- Discuss how this core function relates to one intervention from the Public Health Intervention Wheel (Nies & McEwen, 2015, pp. 14–15).
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
Devry NR443 week 1 DQ 2
Determinants of Health (graded)
What makes some healthy and others ill? Healthy People 2020 identifies five determinants of health that influence the health of individuals and populations. Healthy People 2020 describes them as “A range of personal, social, economic, and environmental factors that influence health status are known as determinants of health” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2014, About Determinants of Health, para. 1). Determinants fall into five categories including: (a) policy making, (b) social factors, (c) health services, (d) individual behavior, and (e) biology and genetics.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2014) HealthyPeople2020: About Determinants of Health. Retrieved fromhttp://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/foundation-health-measures/Determinants-of-Health
Devry NR443 week 2
Windshield Survey (graded)
In this discussion thread, you will view a windshield survey video of a community called Iron Ridge to practice performing part of a windshield survey. Review the categories and questions in Box 6-2 on page 98 of your text (Nies & McEwen, 2015).
- Click HERE to view the windshield survey video.
- Click HERE to read a transcript of the video.
Next, choose one of the six assessment categories from Box 6-2, and discuss what you observed about Iron Ridge related to the questions in that category.
Also, discuss how a community health nurse might prioritize the identified needs to begin planning an intervention.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier
Devry NR443 week 2 DQ 2
Demographic and Epidemiological Assessment (graded)
For this post, you will collect assessment data about your city or county. This post will include information about demographics (general characteristics) and epidemiological data (disease or health behavior rates) of your community. This data collection will help with two sections of your Week 4 Milestone 2 assignment.
- Demographic data: Go online to the U.S. Census Bureau at http://quickfacts.census.gov/. Obtain information about the demographic characteristics of the population for your city or county of residence. You may have to look at county data if your city is not listed. Collect a range of demographic data about age, ethnicity, poverty levels, housing, and education.
- Epidemiological data: Go to your city or county health department website (search the Internet) or County Health Rankings (http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/) to discuss epidemiological data about your area. Identify several priority health concerns for your area.
Here is a helpful tip sheet about the
Devry NR443 week 3
Caring for Vulnerable Populations (graded)
This week, you are learning about many different vulnerable populations. Choose one vulnerable population.
- Briefly describe this vulnerable population.
- Discuss several risk factors that may impact health outcomes for this group.
- Describe two priorities for community health nurses working with this population.
Assuring Resources for the Vulnerable (graded)
Review the Week 3 Case Study that may be found in Doc Sharing.
Assurance is one of the three core functions of public health. Find a resource in your community (other than WIC) that could assist Mary during her pregnancy. Start by searching the Internet for your local health department’s website. What services do they provide for pregnant women or those with mental health concerns? What about your local welfare office? Do they provide prenatal or mental health services? Are there any service organizations, crisis pregnancy centers, or churches providing help for pregnant women or those experiencing mental health concerns?
- Briefly describe the types of services that you found.
- Choose one agency and assess this agency in terms of the 4 As. Is it accessible, acceptable, affordable, or available for Mary or other pregnant women that you case-manage?
Devry NR443 week 4
Concerns for the School Nurse (graded)
As the school nurse role evolves, there are increasingly more health concerns for the school nurse. Does the locale make a difference in the problems, or are health problems in children and adolescents universal? In some inner-city areas, violence is a prevalent issue. What do you think are the biggest problems in your areas?
Healthy People Objectives for Community Settings (graded)
The federal government developed Healthy People as a set of national health objectives that are revised every 10 years. These objectives are very specific in order to guide and measure our nation’s progress related to public health.
Please visit http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/. Click on a topic area that relates to a community health (CH) setting you are learning about. Click on the green Objectives area in that topic area to choose one Healthy People 2020 numbered objective.
- Describe the community health setting of interest (see Chapters 30–33).
- Discuss one specific numbered Healthy People 2020 objective (not a goal) related to this community health setting.
- How could a community health nurse help this setting meet this objective?
Here is a helpful “Introduction to Healthy People 2020 website” document to aid you in navigating the HP 2020 website.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2014). Healthy People 2020: 2020 Topics & Objectives. Retrieved from http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/
Devry NR443 week 5
Population Health Intervention Strategies (graded)
Review the Week 5 Case Study found in Doc Sharing.
You will continue in your role as a nurse with your local health department. Examine your online lesson, assigned readings, and visit The Community Guide website:http://www.thecommunityguide.org/ to explore interventions related to violence or excess alcohol use. Choose one evidence-based intervention that is recommended, and present this intervention to the task force.
- Summarize this intervention and and discuss the community health nurse’s role in implementing this strategy.
- Describe whether it is considered a primary, secondary, or tertiary prevention strategy and include your rationale (see Nies & McEwen, 2015, Chapter 1, p. 7 for a review of levels of prevention).
Community Preventive Services Task Force. (2014). The Community Guide. Retrieved from http://www.thecommunityguide.org/
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
Disaster and Communicable Disease Preparedness (graded)
Preparing for disasters or communicable disease outbreaks is an important part of public health nursing. Visit the websitehttp://www.ready.govand http://www.ready.gov/pandemic. Review the steps for being prepared for a disaster or pandemic.
- As a community health nurse, what elements do you think are important to stress to the community?
- How well is your community prepared for a potential outbreak or disaster?
Federal Emergency Management Agency. (2014). Ready: Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed.Retrieved from http://www.ready.gov/
Federal Emergency Management Agency. (2014). Pandemic.Retrieved from
Devry NR443 week 6
Affordable Care Act (ACA) (graded)
Please explore the healthcare marketplace website at https://www.healthcare.gov/. Choose the get answers tab towards the top of the page. Review several of the topics under this tab and share something that you learned about how the marketplace works and how this would apply to those in your community.
The Affordable Care Act is a controversial topic, and I’m sure there are many different viewpoints represented in our class. For this discussion, let’s focus on understanding the basics of the marketplace so that we can provide accurate information for our patients and communities.
Devry NR443 week 1 DQ 2
Environmental Health (graded)
Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s MyEnvironment site at http://www.epa.gov/myenvironment/howUsePage.html. Review the site overview and enter your city, zip code, or location into the MyEnvironment box. Explore the site to learn more about your environment and things that might be impacting the health of its citizens.
- Identify something new you learned about your environment and how it could be affecting health by completing this statement, “I didn’t know _____.”
- How could you, in the role of a community health nurse, address these concerns?
Devry NR443 week 7
This week, you were assigned to read and review Recommendation 8 of IOM’s Future of Nursing Recommendations. Recommendation #8 states:Build an infrastructure for the collection and analysis of interprofessional healthcare workforce data.
The Institute of Medicine. (2010). The future of nursing leading change, advancing health: Recommendation 8. Retrieved fromhttp://thefutureofnursing.org/recommendation/detail/recommendation-8
Ethics and Diversity (graded)
Review the Week 7 Case Study found in Doc Sharing.
You will continue in your role as a nurse with your local health department. As part of the health department’s “Think Cultural Health” seminar, each team member will discuss oneof the 15 National Cultural and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) standards. Visit https://www.thinkculturalhealth.hhs.gov/Content/clas.asp. Browse the site and click on the link to open the list of the National CLAS Standards.
- Describe one National CLAS Standard.
- Discuss one way that you could implement this standard for a specific cultural group in your community.
Office of Minority Health, Department of Health and Human Services. (2013). National standards for culturally and linguistically appropriate services in health and health care: a blueprint for advancing and sustaining CLAS policy and practice. Retrieved from https://www.thinkculturalhealth.hhs.gov/Content/clas.asp
Devry NR443 week 8
<pclass=”msonormal”>Future Directions (graded)
Reflect on what you have learned in this course. What could you take from it and bring into your current practice? Please share specific examples.
Caring for Populations: Milestone1: Community Windshield Survey Form
Directions: Please refer to the Milestone 1: Community Windshield Survey Guidelines and grading rubric for specific instructions in order to complete the information below. This assignment is worth 150 points.
Type your name, date, and observations directly on this form. Click Save as and save the file with the assignment name and your last name; for example, NR443 Windshield Survey Form_Smith. When you are finished, submit the form to the Week 2 Caring for Populations: Windshield Survey Dropbox by the deadline indicated in your guidelines.
|1. Introduction of Community (20 points)
Identify the city and state of your community and briefly describe the community you will be using for this assignment. It should be the area where you live or the area surrounding your work setting but must include a residential area. Demographic data are not needed.
|2. Windshield Survey (100 points)
a. Vitality:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the community vitality.
|b. Indicators of social and economic conditions:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the social and economic conditions.
|c. Health Resources:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the health resources.
|d. Environmental conditions related to health:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the environmental conditions.
|e. Social functioning:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the social functioning.
|f. Attitude toward healthcare:Use a majority of the questions from Box 6-2 in your text to describe your observations about the attitudes toward healthcare.
|3. Conclusion: (20 pts)
Provide a summary of your findings and your conclusion. What problems did you identify?
optional: List in APA format any referencesthat you used. If you include any references here, you must also include an in-text citation (author, year).
Guidelines for Caring for PopulationsMilestone 2:
Assessment and Diagnosis
The purpose of this paper is to provide an opportunity to utilize community assessment strategies, uncover a community health problem, and identify the components of one community health nursing problem related to the community dynamics.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO2: Assess the health needs of individuals, families, aggregates, and communities using demographic and epidemiological data to identify population health risks. (PO 4)
CO6: Utilize a systems-based and collaborative approach to address factors that influence the health of a community and population health problems. (PO 2)
Submit to the appropriate basket in the Dropboxby 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday of Week 4.
Watch the Milestone 2 tutorialby clicking thislink. This tutorial is also available on Course Project page under Course Home as well as Week 4 Assignments page.
This paper is expected to be no more than fourpages in length (not including the title page and reference list). Below are the requirements for successful completion of this paper.Please use the following categories as the first level headings on your paper. See the documents in the APA category in Course Resources for assistance with APA formatting.
- [Introduction:]This beginning of your paper should catch the reader’s attention with interesting facts about your communityand shouldinclude the purpose statement of the paper. This should be one paragraph.APA states that you should not title this as introduction; however, you are still expected to write a separate introduction. The title of the paper should be repeated at the top of page two and centered.
- Community Overview: Identify the community that you are assessingby name and stateand provide a generaldescription of the community. What is the general character of the community?Statistics should not be included here. Your community should be the area you live or workin and should include a residential area. It should be a large enough area to answer the questions in the text. This should be one paragraph.
- Demographic Data: Compile a range of demographic (population description) data for your community by examining U.S. Census Bureau reports. Using this data, describe yourcommunity. Compare your community data to state or national data. A summary of this data should beno more than two paragraphs.
- Epidemiological Data: Compile and summarize a range of epidemiological (illness, morbidity, and mortality) data for your community by examining data from sources such as city or county health department reports, County Health Rankings (countyhealthrankings.org), or the Centers for Disease Control to describe priority health problems in your area. See the Webliography for applicable sites to search. Compare your community to state or national data. This comparison will help to identify a priority community health problem specific to your community. A summary of this data should be no more than two paragraphs.
- Windshield Survey: Provide a summary of your observationsfrom your first milestone. Make sure to discuss observations related to your identified problem. This should be one to two paragraphs.
- Problem Diagnosis:
o Using the assessment data, identify one community health nursing problem that you consider to be a priority concern.
o Relate your choice to one of the Healthy People 2020specific numbered objectives (not just a goal). Healthy People objectives are located within a topic area under the Objectives tab.
o Your rationale should also include why this is a problem in your community and factors that contribute to the problem. Avoid discussion of interventions in this milestone.
o Include a discussion of your problem withinformation from at least two scholarly sources (such as professional journal articles).(Review the documents in the APA category in Doc Sharing for help in determining sources that are considered scholarly—hint, .com websites are not considered scholarly sources).This should beno more than three paragraphs.
- Summary:Summarize your community assessment and diagnosis findings and include a brief statement about the problemand the major factors that contribute to this problem. This information should be no more than two paragraphs.
- Reference Page: All references should be cited within the paperand should be included on the reference page.
- Application: Use Microsoft Word 2010 (or later)to create this assignment.
- Use the categories above as APA headings for the sections of your paper.
- Length: This paper is expected to be no more than four pages in length (not including the title page and reference list).
- Submission: Submit your file via the basket in the Dropbox: Milestone 2 Assessment and Diagnosis, by 11:59 p.m.MT Sunday of Week 4.
- Scholarly Writing: APA format is required. Review APA documents in the APA categoryin Course Resourcesand use the free resources of SmartThinking for writing tutors.
- Save your paper with your last name in the document title (e.g., Smith Assessment and Diagnosis).
- Late Submission: See the course policy on late submissions.
Best Practicesin Preparing the Paper
The following are best practices in preparing this project.